What a night, it PISSED Down. I was buggered and went to bed about 8pm, left Marg sitting up watching her Tv shows. Just after midnight, I felt some drops of water on me. It was BUCKETing down outside, it appeared that the water was pooling on the roof and sneaking into the hatch above us. Marg suggested lowering the front of the fiver. SO I waited until the rain stopped and then got up walked outside and the first thing I felt was all that dry RED dirt was now oozing between my toes. I lowered the front legs and created a beautiful waterfall off the front of the fiver. While up I thought that I would check the powercord, it was high and dry. SO all good, I washed the mud off my feet and went back to bed. Problem solved, no more drips. We both slept until 7am, when we woke to a sunny morning with no rain to be seen BUT heaps of oozing mud everywhere.
We had brekky and drove down to the Bedourie Info Center to see if we were driving to Birdsville. Maggie my contact wasn't there but Jenny was and told us that
the Bedourie - Birdsville road is closed. It may be open tomorrow or Wednesday. Jenny allowed me to use their Sat Phone to ring Shane at Birdsville CP, he didn't
answer, so back at camp, I emailed him. Obviously, he knew that the road was closed and told me to ring us when the road re-opens. I will. I told Jenny that
we are going sightseeing and will drive towards Birdsville until we come across the flooded section, take photos, turn around and head back to camp. As we were
driving, we thought that instead of heading to Birdsville, we will turn around and head North. As we left Bedourie, we passed the sign which told us that the road to Boulia is also CLOSED. (I am under the impression that you are NOT allowed to drive on a CLOSED road, BUT I did tell Jenny what we were going to do and she wasn't concerned. I did say that when we came to the water across the road, we would take photos and then come back to camp, which we did).
We drove back to town and along most of the streets (there aren't that many) before stopping at our CP's office, restaurant, groceries etc and ordered lunch.
We had roast beef and gravy roll each with a soft drink. They were very YUMMA.
During the arvo, Marg managed to have a nanna nap while I buggered about on this website and the internet.
Marg has woken and after she watched an episode of Dance Moms, we walked over the road to the Simpson Desert Oasis bar, for a chilled refresher to replenish our fluids.
After talking to the locals, their concensus is that the road will not be open before Wednesday, SO instead of staying at Bedourie, we are going back to Boulia with the fiver tomorrow. Boulia is civilization, it has phone and internet reception and is a lovely park. When the Birdsville road is open, instead of driving 190kms we will have to drive 380kms BUT we know the condition of the road from Boulia to Bedourie. It is easy to sit on 100kph without a van behind except for the 4 small sections of gravel.
Dinner was Mr McCain's pizza slices, while Marg had his Lamb Cutlets.
They were YUMMA.
Over the next few days we plan to stay at:
- Mon 9th May - Bedourie - Last night.
- Tue 10th May - Boulia - 4 nights
- Wed 11th May - Birdsville - 2 nights - drive there without fiver.
- Fri 13th May - Boulia - 2 nights, do sightseeing etc.
- Sun 15th May - Winton - 1 night
Tomorrow, we hope to drive to Birdsville about 200kms, if the road is open, if not, we will drive back to Boulia.